Translate

Thursday 11 August 2016

Definition of love

My nephew's 7th birthday is in early October. Yesterday I spent a better part of the day trying to find a birthday gift that he would like and is within my price range. It brought me a lot of joy to find that "ideal" gift. I had to consider his likes and dislikes, etc. by recalling the times that we spent together. He lives in a city that is 8 hours drive away from me, and I do not see him that often. He might never know how much time and effort I put in finding his birthday gift. The thought that the gift could make a difference in his life motivated me. What did he do to elicit so much love on my part? Nothing. Maybe I see a lot of similarities between us. I love my nephew.

I was only sixteen when I got accepted into university. Every day I would have to spend 2 hours each way commuting. My parents did not give us (their offspring and grandfather) allowances except for bus fares. As I was getting ready for school around 5 a.m. one particularly cold, damp winter morning, I heard someone cooking in the kitchen. It was my grandfather. "Why are you up so early, grandpa?" He wanted to cook me a hot breakfast before I got out of the house. Microwave ovens were not around at that time. He then gave me two dollars to buy a hot lunch for that day. "Go back to bed, grandpa. Your rheumatism must be hurting you." My grandfather loved me.

St. Paul's definition of love has always been my guiding light.

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud.  It does not dishonour others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth.  It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. 

The same principles are also applicable to romantic love. In reality, few people are more obsessed in possessing and/or controlling their loved ones. A lot of lovers cannot bear the thought of being separated from each other especially when they first fall in love. In my opinion, this is nothing more than a form of OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder) and self-centered behaviour. As the saying goes, "If you love someone, set them free. If they come back, they're yours; if they don't, they never were."

It is indeed very difficult to define love. I suppose when I love someone, I am only concerned about their well-being and happiness. Sometimes there is sacrifice to be made to preserve the well-being and happiness of my beloved; it is also when I ask myself how deep is my love.


1 comment:

  1. I spend the time to read your blog. I see the definition of love for people is true but heart to achieve. We are not perfect, By learning slowly we are a better person everyday. Only God is perfect, we are sinners (less prefect). Hope we strive for the best. God Bless!

    ReplyDelete