Translate

Sunday 29 July 2018

Farewell Facebook

Dear Facebook,

I have decided to quit seeing you forever. For the past eleven years, I spent way too much time on you. When I first encountered you in 2007, you were an undoubtedly more efficient way to be connected to my family and friends. Since then, our needs have changed and we have grown apart.

Thank you for letting me find my old friends. Without you, I would have lost touch with the people in my past. But then I also realize why we have not kept in touch for many years. Sometimes it is best that memories remain in the past and/or be cherished only in my mind.

Thank you for providing me a platform to share my passions - traveling and photography. In the last few epic journeys, you even helped me in a minor way to get the necessary assistance. When I was not on the road, I was able to do a lot of armchair traveling from looking at the posts of my traveling friends. I enjoyed looking at some spectacular photos though sometimes digitally enhanced.

Thank you for giving me opportunities to show people that I do care. I just loved sending birthday wishes, wedding/anniversary greetings on their special days. Your GIF's, stickers and emoji's made it so easy to do so even in my non-creative moments. However, it makes me feel very inadequate to see that I am falling behind whenever my friends are buying a new car, boat, house, plane, traveling to some exotic places or eating in an expensive restaurant.

What breaks this camel's back is the constant streaming of political and religious propaganda on top of the customized ads. For the same reason, I have not watched television shows for many years. I do not want to be subjected to subliminal messages again.

I know quitting you will be difficult because we have been together for eleven years. I will remain...

Yours lovingly,
RKW


3 comments:

  1. Five days after quitting Facebook, my daily routine has not changed much. However, rather than being led to specific links, I am searching for random pieces of information more frequently now. I had also anticipated exhibiting addiction withdrawal symptoms such as eating more comfort food, getting agitated or being withdrawn. I did not have any of these symptoms. The strangest observation has to be my having nightmares of being sexually assaulted during the last two nights. Perhaps I underestimated the subliminal sexual messages that are spread around on social media.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another week has passed. Life is back to "normal". I am not missing out on anything and people are not missing me. No email came from friends or family. I have started posting more regularly on Google+. I am following two persons which I have chosen very carefully so that I would not be bombarded with narcissistic posts constantly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am with Facebook again. But this time I can effectively use it as a broadcasting and educating tool. I only check the news feed at specific times of the day. At times I learn a few tips in DIY from its videos. As for entertainment and world news, I turn to YouTube. Life is good without addiction to FB. LOL

    ReplyDelete