Translate

Tuesday 3 February 2015

Honduras Jan 2 - 21, 2015.

Copan Ruinas was my first stop in Honduras. It also became my travel base in Honduras by chance. From Copan, I first travelled to San Pedro Sula, the North Coast and the Bay Islands. Then I returned to Copan and visited places in the west. Lastly, I travelled to the south and stayed in the capital city of Tegucigalpa for a few days before exiting the country for Nicaragua. 

The mountain roads in Western Honduras were not easy to traverse; however, I did feel very safe when I was in the “hill country”. I would feel secure enough to eat in a food stall near the town square of Copan Ruinas even after sunset. Around Copan there are several places that you can explore on foot or by bike. I also visited the Moon Jaguar Hot Springs Spa one afternoon. The spa is rather remote and has a serene ambience.

One of my Honduran hosts asked me about my top three favourite places in Honduras. My numero uno favourite place was the Copan Archaeological Park and Museum. Being an art-lover, I was impressed with the carvings, sculptures, artefacts and stellaes in this ancient Mayan city. The replica of the Rosalila Temple enabled me to visualize how glorious the city must have been when it was built. The McCaw birds are a colourful addition to this unique ruins site.

There are two Honduran port cities that have forts to guard off pirates and foreign attacks. I visited one such city, Trujillo which is 3 hours drive east of La Ceiba. Trujillo is my second favourite place in Honduras. Even though it is a Port of Call for many cruise ships and there is a fair size gringo population, the way of life remains simple. Its residents were kind to me when I needed help with my wardrobe malfunction.

Copan Ruinas is my third favourite place. It is a small town that remains unspoiled even though it receives thousands of tourists each year. Amazingly enough, it is also the place where I met my two Guatemalan friends. Several locally owned cafes serve excellent Café Americano. Every evening there are Christian worships and choir singing practices. It is a magical place.

Even though I have ridden on motor boats on open seas before, the tour of Cayos Cochinos had to be the most exciting part of my Honduran visit. Caribbean Sea is pretty rough to sail in at the best of times with waves higher than the boat. The sea is a  beautiful sapphire blue but it is always many shades of turquoise in the lagoons. I had a glimpse of the laid-back lifestyle and the traditional Garifuna way of living, topped off with a deep fried cod and plantain lunch.

My visit to the Museum of National Identity was indeed very educational. Hondurans should be proud of their heritage and try to maintain their culture independent of American influences. It is sad that a large part of the population still lives below the line of poverty. More than half of the clothing stores in large cities are stocked with merchandise from American thrift stores. People drink more carbonated drinks than filtered water. My wish for Hondurans is to have a better educational system, healthier diet, and a bigger middle class. 






No comments:

Post a Comment